Duration: 6 Days
Highest Altitude: 12,250 ft
Average Temperature: Day time: 8°C-15°C; Night time: 0°C-7°C
- Brahmatal, a picturesque lake nestled in the laps of the Garhwal Himalayas is a perfect destination for a winter trek. In fact, it is one of the few treks which are possible in the winter season when most of the trekking routes are closed.
- Most part of the Brahmatal trek is mostly covered with blankets of snow, which makes it a great winter option. It is on the opposite side of the famous Roopkund trek and offers a bird’s eye view of the route including Ali Bugiyal, Bedni Bugiyal, Roopkund and Junargali. It also enthrals with the majestic view of the mighty Himalayan peaks of Mt. Nanda Ghunti and Mt. Trishul.
- With the gradually ascending slopes, the Brahmatal Trek route is fit for beginners and less experienced trekkers. A major part of the trek continues under forest cover, reducing the chances of altitude sickness.
- Best time for Brahmatal trek is from December to February.
DAY 1: Reach Lohajung; 10 hours drive from Kathgodam. Transport will be arranged from Kathgodam Railway station at 6.30 am.
DAY 2: Lohajung (7,600 ft) to Bekaltal (9,885 ft); 5 hours, 6.3 km
DAY 3: Bekaltal (9,885 ft) to Brahmatal (10,440 ft); 5-6 hours, 7.2 km
DAY 4: Brahmatal (10,440 ft) to Brahmatal Top (12,250 ft) and on to Tilbudi (11,250 ft); 8 hours, 7.5 km via Brahmatal Pass
DAY 5: Tilbudi (11,250 ft) to Lohajung (7,600 ft); 3-4 hours, 3km to Lohajung via Wan
DAY 6: Drive from Lohajung to Kathgodam. You will reach Kathgodam between 6.00 pm and 7.00 pm.
Note:Please note that you will be staying at a guest house in Lohajung. The stay on all other days is in tents (2 per tent).
Day 1: Kathgodam to Lohajung
- We will pick you at Kathgodam railway station at 6:30 am. The drive from Kathgodam to Lohajung will take you cruising through mountains connecting the lower Himalayan belt of Kumaon hills to that of Garhwal. We will pass through Bheemtal, Almora, and Kausani—all celebrated hill stations.
- On reaching Lohajung, you will find yourself face to face with the beautiful Nanda Ghunti peak. If you reach before sunset, the colours of the peak will enthral you.
- Lohajung is the base of the trek and there are a couple of local stores where you can buy basic trek gears (if required). You will have network coverage in most parts of Lohajung.
Day 2:Lohajung to Bekaltal
- The first day of the trek begins from Lohajung, with a curved trail going into the forest. After a short trek, spot Mandoli village on your left. As you climb higher, on your left, you will be able to see the Kali Valley, where Kali and Pindari Rivers join.
- We will trek on further and cross a small huddle of mud huts. From here on you will find rhododendron trees, which make this part of the trail very beautiful from February to March.
- After some time you will find a 10-metre bridge which will help you cross the stream. Crossing over on to the other side, you will reach Begum where you can rest for some time. This place provides picturesque views of Navali Bugyal and Bagdi Bugyal.
- From here, the path curve on to two more streams, the last being Gujrani stream. An hour’s trek after crossing the last stream will take you to the beautiful Bekaltal blazing peacefully in the summer while partially frozen over in the winters.
- We will be camping at Khopdaliya which lies just below the Bekaltal. Enjoy the stillness and the quiet of this place with the thick oak forests around.
Day 3: Bekaltal to Brahmatal
- The beginning of the trek on this day is dominated by the Rhododendron and Oak forest. After about an hour trek, the tree line ends and you enter the meadows.
- This is the meadow of Telandi. In the winter, you will find the green expanse of Telandi covered by the white sheet of snow. From here one can view the spectacular panorama of Mt Trishul and Mt Nanda Ghunti with their associated ranges.
- The trail over meadow weaves along the ridge and you head to Jhandi Top(11,500 ft.) the highest point. From here begins a slow descent to Brahmatal over a kilometre and half. Descend below and find the trail winding towards the Brahmatal Lake. We will be camping at the mark 500 meters away from the lake.
Day 4: Brahmatal to Tilbudi via Brahmatal Pass
- The trek will start early in the morning as will be heading towards the Brahmatal lake which is an uphill climb. The zigzag ascent trail will take you Brahmatal Lake.
- As you walk ahead you will come across a small stream which is formed by the melting of snow. Walking for a while and crossing the meadow, the final climb towards the pass begins.
- As soon as you reach the top you will be have the magnificent view of Mt. Trishul and Mt. Nanda Ghunti. Spend some time on the top.
- As you start descending, You will be able to witness a 180-degree view of the entire Himalayan range and peaks such as Haukhambha, Mandi, Mana, Nilgiri, Neelkanth, Trishul, Nanda Ghunti, Maitoli become visible.
- Continue to descent, after an hour you will reach a clearing surrounded by trees on all the sides which is the Tilbudi campsite. You will be camping here for the night.
Day 5: Tilbudi to Lohajung via Wan
- After a delicious breakfast you will start your descent to Wan. The trail is filled with Oak and Rhododendron trees. This is a very beautiful trail. After trekking some distance you will come across a water source at Chota Tilbundi.
- Half an hour later you will be able to spot Wan village.From here onwards it will take you half an hour more to reach the road. From here an hour drive will take you to Lohajung.
Day 6: Lohajung to Kathgodam
- The mesmerizing trek ends today. We will return to Kathgodam today.
How to Reach:
From Delhi take the Ranikhet Express (5014) Dep. Delhi at 10:40 pm arrival Kathgodam at 5:30 am or the Uttar Sampark Kranti (5035) Dep. Delhi at 4:00pm arrival Kathgodam at 10:40pm (6 hrs.40min.Journey).It is essential to book the tickets at least one month in advance as this route is always in demand.
Regular buses ply from ISBT Delhi, Anand Vihar station to Kathgodam. Buses that go to Nainital stops at Haldwani which is a twin town of Kathgodham (8 hrs. Journey). Usually, buses drop you at Haldwani bus station. From there you have to come to Kathgodham Railway Station which is 4km away.
1. Accommodation (Camping)
2. Meals (Veg.)
3. Transport from Dehradun to Sari Village and return.
4. Trekking permits
5. Trek equipment (Tent, sleeping bag, mattress, kitchen & dining tent, toilet tentand utensils
6. First aid medical kits
7. Mountaineering qualified trek leader and support staff.
1. Meals during the transit.
2. Any personal expenses.
3. Mules to carry personal luggage.
4. Anything not specifically mentioned under the head.
- If the cancellation request is received before 30 days from the commencement of the trip, the whole amount paid for the trip will be refunded.
- If the cancellation request is received within 20 to 30 days from the commencement of the trip or package 75% of the trip cost shall be refunded.
- If the cancellation request is received between 10 to 20 days from the commencement of the trip, 50% of the trip cost shall be refunded.
- In cases where the cancellation request is not received before 10 days from the commencement of the trip HBA shall not be liable to pay any refund.
- Cancellation for booking made within 10 days of departure date will not be liable for any refund.