TARSAR MARSAR TREK
Region: Jammu and Kashmir
Duration: 7 days
Highest Altitude: 13,201 ft
Average Temperature: Day time:17°C-20°C; Nighttime:3°C-4°C
- Kashmir universally acknowledged as “paradise on earth”, is the host to most picturesque treks in the Himalayas and Tarsar Marsar Trek is among them.
- Tarsar Marsar Trek is a stunning trek with three alpine lakes- Tarsar, Marsar and Sundarsar which mesmerize one with their beauty.
- Apart from these three lakes, one will find it full of exquisite meadows of Kashmir, splendid Chinar tree forest and Lidder river, a glacial river that originates from the Kolahoi glacier.
- All the campsites on this trek are beside Lidder river or alpine lakes on meadows. An experience to camp in such settings is what makes this trek special.
- This trek is mostly close to the tree line with an easy trail, which makes it suitable for everyone.
Day 1: Reach Aru; 3-4 hours drive from Srinagar. The pick up is at 2.30 pm.
Day 2: Trek from Aru (7,958 ft) to Lidderwat (9,131 ft); 6 hours, 10 km
Day 3: Trek from Lidderwat (9,131 ft) to Shekwas (11,039 ft); 5 hours, 5.6 km
Day 4: Trek from Shekwas (11,039 ft) to Tarsar (12,449 ft); 4 hours, 5 km
Day 5: Trek from Tarsar (12,449 ft) to Sundersar (12,946 ft); 5 hours, 5 km
Day 6: Visit Marsar (13,201 ft), trek to Homwas (11,500 ft); 7 hours, 9 km
Day 7: Trek from Homwas (11,500 ft) to Aru (7,958 ft); 6 hours, 13 km. You are expected to reach Srinagar by 8.00 pm.
- Please note that prepaid SIM cards do not work in Kashmir.
- Pahalgam is the last point where you will receive a mobile network.
- Pahalgam is also where you will find the last ATM
Day 1:Srinagar to Aru
- Altitude: 7,958 ft (2,426 m)
- Time taken: 3.5 hours drive.
- Our representative will receive you at Srinagar at 2.30 pm. From here it will take 3 hours to reach Pahalgam and another half an hour to reach Aru.
- There are two splendid routes to reach Pahalgam one through Anantnag and other through Bijbehra.
- The Bijbehra route is a lovely route passing through rural Kashmir full of apple orchards, walnut and apricot trees whereas the route to Pahalgam is along the breathtaking Lidder river.
- On crossing Pahalgam you will enter Aru Wildlife Sanctuary which is home to animals including brown bears and musk deer. Driving towards Aru will enthral you with majestic views of Lidder river and lush green valley.
- You will reach Aru by 6.30 pm. Today’s stay will be in a tent.
Day 2:Aru to Lidderwat
- Altitude: 7,958 ft (2,426 m) to 9,131 ft (2,783 m)
- Time taken: 6 hours, 10 km
- After scrumptious breakfast and tent packing activity, we will head off to Lidderwat. The trail from Aru to Lidderwat is easy and undulating.
- Initially, straight from the campsite, there is a gradual ascent for 30 minutes and then the trail enters into the cluster of fir trees. From here the trail is straight and wide, following the course of the Lidder river.
- After passing the cluster of fir trees the trial opens to a picturesque meadow. You will find a cluster of Gujjar settlements with sheeps grazing around. Continuing on the trail you will cross two water streams, crossing later one on a wooden bridge.
- Soon the trail climbs into another small cluster of pine trees and then gently climbs a hill, from the top of which you can see whole Lidder valley.
- From here drop down to the wooden bridge over Lidder river, climb up on the other side to reach gorgeous meadows of Lidderwat. This is the campsite for today. There are also PDA (Pahalgam District Authority) huts.
Day 3:Lidderwat to Shekwas
- Altitude: 9,131 ft (2,783 m) to 11,039 ft (3,365 m)
- Time taken: 5 hours, 5.6 km
- The trail to Shekwas begin with a steep climb and then enter into Pine forest. The whole trail is easy and passes along the Lidder river flowing below.
- Enjoy the picturesque view of mountains with few patches of snow on this trail, on the left side. Many clear and small streams will cut the trail many times. You can refill your water stocks from these streams. Further on this trail, you will find many valleys that converge together.
- Continue along this trail and then trek down to the river and cross it. Half an hour later, the trail opens up to a wide clearing of Homwas.
- Further, from here the trail enters a narrow valley with clear waters of the river flowing along. An hour later, the trail will pass a cluster of Silver Birch (Bhoj) trees. Again the trail climbs and passes a few Gujjar huts ending at the camping grounds of Shekwas.
Day 4:Shekwas to Tarsar
- Altitude: 11,039 ft (3,365 m) to 12,449 ft (3,794 m)
- Time taken: 3-4 hours, 5 km
- The trail from Shekwas To Tarsar is an easy trail with a decent ascent. After packing tents we will trek past Shekwas on the meadow with few boulders in between.
- After an hour hike, you will come across a section full of boulders crossing a clear stream and then a steep climb. Hop along these boulders, but be careful.
- On crossing, this section you will reach meadows with a few ascents. It is an easy trail with a clear view of Trasar pass and Tarsar Lake. An hour trek from here will take you to the majestic Tarsar Lake. Camp beside the Tarsar Lake and explore surroundings.
Day 5:Tarsar to Sundersar
- Altitude: 12,449 ft (3,794 m) to 12,946 ft (3,946 m)
- Time taken: 5 hours, 5 km
- Today’s hike starts with a steep climb to Tarsar pass, which takes 1 hour.
- View of the Tarsar lake from this angle is magnificient.
- From the top of the pass, the trail descends to the valley below reaching a clearing with a few Bakkarval shelters. From here hike towards left on the vast meadows.
- This section is surrounded by the mountain ridges on both sides and heads to Sundarsar campsite. After an hour hike, you will reach a section full of boulders all around. Hoping on these boulders and crossing this section will take you to the base of a small ridge.
- From here climb towards ridge passing along the boulders and reach Sundarsar lake campsite on the other side. It is the perfect campsite after the lovely trek from Tarsar.
Day 6:Visit Marsar and trek to Homwas
- Altitude: 12,946 ft (3,946 m) to 13,201 ft / 4,024 m (Marsar Ridge) to 11,500 ft (3,505 m)
- Time taken: 7 hours, 9 km
- Start the day with a visit to Marsar lake. Skirt around the lake from the right side to reach the far side of the lake. From here the trail is over the wide section of boulders with a steep ascent.
- Cross this section and reach a small ridge. Descend down to the other side of the ridge and after 15 minutes reach a spot with a splendid view of Marsar lake,700 feet below. On the right side of the lake, notice outer edges of the Dachigam reserve forest.
- Return to campsite following the same trail. After scrumptious breakfast, we will leave for Homwas
- Follow the same trail that you had taken earlier, till the base of Tarsar pass and take a different route to Homwas. Reach Homwas campsite before lunch.
Day 7:Homwas to Aru. Drive to Srinagar
- Altitude: 11,500 ft (3,505 m) to 7,958 ft (2,426 m)
- Time taken: 6 hours, 13 km
- Take the same route back to Aru that you had taken earlier via Lidderwat. The trail goes downhill and it is an easy descend. It will take 2 hours from Homwas to Lidderwat.
- After halting for some time at Lidderwat, head off to Aru. This takes around 4 hours to cover. Stop for lunch en-route
- You will reach Aru by 4 in the evening and Srinagar between 7-8 pm.
1. Accommodation (Camping)
2. Meals (Veg.)
3. Transport from Srinagar to Aru and return.
4. Trekking permits
5. Trek equipment (Tent, sleeping bag, mattress, kitchen & dining tent, toilet tentand utensils
6. First aid medical kits
7. Mountaineering qualified trek leader and support staff.
1. Meals during the transit.
2. Any personal expenses.
3. Mules to carry personal luggage.
4. Anything not specifically mentioned under the head.
- If the cancellation request is received before 30 days from the commencement of the trip, the whole amount paid for the trip will be refunded.
- If the cancellation request is received within 20 to 30 days from the commencement of the trip or package 75% of the trip cost shall be refunded.
- If the cancellation request is received between 10 to 20 days from the commencement of the trip, 50% of the trip cost shall be refunded.
- In cases where the cancellation request is not received before 10 days from the commencement of the trip HBA shall not be liable to pay any refund.
- Cancellation for booking made within 10 days of departure date will not be liable for any refund.